- This ruling determines –
- Whether or not the investee is a “controlled group company” and that the shares purchased by the Applicant and Co-Investor is “equity shares”; and
- The meaning of “hotel keeper” and the allowances that a hotel keeper may claim.
- The Applicant and Co-Investor intends to invest in qualifying companies that will carry on the business of hotel keepers. They will each appoint a company (manager) to operate and manage their respective hotels. The manager will guarantee certain profit targets per annum.
- The Applicant intends to exit this investment on or before the 5th year of the investment. The Co-Applicants will sell their respective hotels and distribute the proceeds to their shareholders.
- The ruling held that each share of the Co-Applicants will constitute an “equity share” and therefore a “qualifying share” and that neither of the Co-Applicants will constitute a “controlled group company” for so long as they do not hold more than 70% of the total equity shares, irrespective of the fact that the Applicant may invest more than 70% of the aggregate share capital in each of the Co-Applicants in monetary terms.
- The Applicant and Co-Investor can then get a deduction for the funds invested in the Co-Applicants in terms of the venture capital company regime.
Wrigley Field Building
The Campus Business Park
57 Sloane Street
Tel: +27 (0)11 467 0810
- Tax Season 2017 is OpenJuly 6, 2017 - 2:24 pm
- Who should Complete a Tax Return? Government Gazette, 9 June 2017June 20, 2017 - 8:09 am
- SARS to Exchange Tax Information with over 50 JurisdictionsMarch 29, 2017 - 8:27 am
- Increase of the Scale of BenefitsMarch 17, 2017 - 7:02 pm
- Expatriate Tax Exemption & Budget Speech Announcement 2017/18 and Social Media CommentsFebruary 27, 2017 - 8:52 am
- Scams and Phishing AttacksJuly 28, 2016 - 11:32 am
- Guide on the Determination of Medical Tax Credits (Issue 7)July 22, 2016 - 7:35 am
- BPR 242: Venture Capital Company Investment in Qualifying CompaniesJuly 22, 2016 - 7:34 am
- D v Commissioner, SARS (VAT 1390):July 22, 2016 - 7:33 am
- Taxation Laws Amendment Bill & Tax Administration Laws Amendment Bill UpdateJuly 14, 2016 - 8:43 am
- BPR239: Cash Contributions made to a Special Purpose Vehicle Established to Provide Housing to Mine WorkersJuly 7, 2016 - 9:47 am
- BPR 237: Reinstatement of a Deregistered Company to Transfer Immovable PropertiesJuly 7, 2016 - 9:44 am